Saturday 2 May 2009

Jonathan Coulton, 1st of May



I know this is a day late, but hey. If you're not au fait with Jonathan Coulton, check out his stuff. He does mostly 'comic' songs, but that's a bit reductive. The fact is, he's got a beautiful voice, and he's a fantastic melody writer. And then he puts a bunch of cool, silly stuff over the top and it becomes really funny as well. Also, individual rhymes are frequently applause-worthy. My current faves are 'Re: Your Brains' and 'Christmas Is Interesting'. I've tried to write songs like him, but aside from all the intellectual and creative dressage necessary to construct the premise and lyrics, he's got an impressive vocal range, whereas mine's breadstick-thin. Ah well. I missed him last time he was in England, because I had a gig. I'll try not to let that happen twice.



No comments:

Post a Comment